David Overton's Blog and Discussion Site
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small. I specialise in Windows Intune and SBS 2008.
This blog is purely the personal opinions of David Overton. If you can't find the information you were looking for e-mail me at admin@davidoverton.com.

To find out more about my Windows Intune BOOK - Microsoft Windows Intune 2.0: Quickstart Administration click here

To find out more about my SBS 2008 BOOK - Small Business Server 2008, Installation, Migration and Configuration click here

David Overton's Blog

Buy my books

Windows Intune:Quickstart Administration

This is the RAW book (Read as Written).
Click here for more information
Buy or pre-order today

SBS 2008 - Installation, Migration and Configuration

Small Business Server 2008 – Installation, Migration, and Configuration

Buy today in book or e-book form

Request a Review Copy

Twitter

Syndication

I got this mail on the blog today, so decided I would post a solution:

2007 Vista Student and Office Edition does not allow me to create one line spacing in Address Headings but okay within the body of the letter, is this a glitch. I have never experienced this in my former Word Programs. In the dialog box it does specify single spacing. Any advice would be appreciated

I have created a simple document and you might notice that there is a big gap between each sentence.  This is caused by both line spacing and space before or after the paragraphs.  I will walk you through the process I went through to make things look less spaced out.

To do all of this I will be using just one icon on the ribbon bar - the one circled below

If I hover over this, you can see it is for line spacing.  The 1st thing I did was highlight my text and try setting the line spacing to 1.0 - you can see the result is that the text is slightly closer together.

Next I clicked the "Remove Space Before Paragraph" option and you will notice that things now look as they should do.

Now if I select the top line as a heading, all the space has gone, but there is a huge chunck of space at the top, doing the same as above to the heading sorted that out too :-)

The finished product

ttfn

David

Technorati tags: ,

Posted Sun, May 6 2007 9:53 PM by David Overton

Comments

JohnJ wrote re: How to remove those spaces before, after and inbetween paragraphs in Word 2007 (Part of Office 2007)
on Wed, Mar 4 2009 10:49 PM

We're having this problem in Outlook 2007. I believe Outlook 2007 uses Word 2007 as the HTML editor. Is there a registry setting for this that we can push out to everyone with a GPO?

Anonymous wrote re: How to remove those spaces before, after and inbetween paragraphs in Word 2007 (Part of Office 2007)
on Sat, Oct 10 2009 2:05 PM

How do you combine for example three paragraphs into one without having to delete the spaces manually?

on Mon, Aug 16 2010 5:32 PM

This was very helpful! Thank you very much!!

Paul wrote re: How to remove those spaces before, after and inbetween paragraphs in Word 2007 (Part of Office 2007)
on Sat, Mar 5 2011 5:03 PM

Thanks so much.

This tip works with Word / Office 2010 as well.

I was about to give up on it and go back to Office 2003, because without doing this, I was having to do Control+Enter (to get single return), then I could not convert to Notepad, forums, blogs, websites or Google docs without having to manaully add hundreds of spaces back in!

Stephanie wrote re: How to remove those spaces before, after and inbetween paragraphs in Word 2007 (Part of Office 2007)
on Tue, Nov 15 2011 2:07 AM

You helped me with my word test!  Thanks! :)

kells wrote re: How to remove those spaces before, after and inbetween paragraphs in Word 2007 (Part of Office 2007)
on Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:11 PM

thanks you helped lots my teacher scares me so im glad this helped.

Dismal Dissertation wrote re: How to remove those spaces before, after and inbetween paragraphs in Word 2007 (Part of Office 2007)
on Mon, Sep 10 2012 2:39 AM

Thanks so much for this! I spent way too much time trying to figure this out, and several sites did not even mention this simple technique!