David Overton's Blog and Discussion Site
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small. I specialise in Windows Intune and SBS 2008.
This blog is purely the personal opinions of David Overton. If you can't find the information you were looking for e-mail me at admin@davidoverton.com.

To find out more about my Windows Intune BOOK - Microsoft Windows Intune 2.0: Quickstart Administration click here

To find out more about my SBS 2008 BOOK - Small Business Server 2008, Installation, Migration and Configuration click here

David Overton's Blog

Buy my books

Windows Intune:Quickstart Administration

This is the RAW book (Read as Written).
Click here for more information
Buy or pre-order today

SBS 2008 - Installation, Migration and Configuration

Small Business Server 2008 – Installation, Migration, and Configuration

Buy today in book or e-book form

Request a Review Copy

Twitter

Syndication

One of the settings I wanted to change in SBS 2008 was the spam filter settings – some mails that I was receiving were being deleted without any option for me to review them.  Since I had to go and read the manual on this, I thought I would share the answer on this.

1. Open the Exchange Management Console
  2. anti-spam for Office Live
  3. Select the Organization Configuration and then Hub Transport
  4. Select the Anti-spam and look at Content Filtering
  5. By default the “Reject messages” SCL rating is set to 7.  I change this to 8, enable "Quarantining messages” for messages above a level of 6
  6. Finally, you need to enter the e-mail of a mailbox to receive the quarantined e-mail

You can see how this impacted the e-mails themselves in the daily report – notice the number of mails still rejected / quarantined:

image

That is it.  See all the other SBS 2008 items at http://davidoverton.com/blogs/doverton/archive/tags/SBS+2008/default.aspx

ttfn

David

Posted Fri, May 30 2008 12:07 AM by David Overton

Comments

The Official SBS Blog wrote SBS 2008 how-to info on David Overton's blog
on Tue, Jun 3 2008 11:57 PM

For some great SBS 2008 "how to" guidance, be sure to check out David Overton's blog . SBS 2008 Install

David Overton's Blog wrote Set up Microsoft Office Live Small Business Web sites
on Wed, Jun 4 2008 8:46 PM

The Console setup process ( Once SBS is set up, how to do the basic configuration through the management

on Wed, Jun 4 2008 8:46 PM

on Thu, Jun 5 2008 12:06 AM

Martin Pavlis - KPCS CZ, s.r.o., www.kpcs.cz wrote SBS 2008: Nahlednete do pristi verze
on Thu, Jun 12 2008 12:59 PM

SBS 2008: Nahlednete do pristi verze

TechNet Blog CZ/SK wrote SBS 2008: Nahlednete do pristi verze
on Thu, Jun 12 2008 1:00 PM

Pokud se zajímáte o nový SBS 2008 a rádi byste se na něj jen tak “koukli”, můžete navštívit blog Davida

Olafski wrote re: How to change spam settings on Exchange 2007 / SBS 2008 to enable some / all / more spam to be delivered to an account for analysis
on Tue, Oct 7 2008 10:17 AM

Thanks for the explanation. One more question, how can I see which messages are rejected, so I can see if there are some false positives. Is there a logfile or whatever? If I don't use the Quarantaine option, will the other two options take care that unwanted messages are moved to the Junk email folder?

Thanks!

Kate Bevan wrote re: How to change spam settings on Exchange 2007 / SBS 2008 to enable some / all / more spam to be delivered to an account for analysis
on Thu, Oct 16 2008 10:18 PM

David, your SBS 08 posts are a fantastic resource, thank you for them. I'm hoping this tweak will tackle an issue I have of legit mailing list emails not reaching my Exchange inbox.

stuffandthoughts.wordpress.com/.../sbs

More on SBS and some link love « Stuff and thoughts wrote More on SBS and some link love « Stuff and thoughts
on Thu, Oct 16 2008 10:33 PM

Pingback from  More on SBS and some link love « Stuff and thoughts

Exchange 2007 Spamming - EXPERTS ADVICE FORUM wrote Exchange 2007 Spamming - EXPERTS ADVICE FORUM
on Sat, Nov 8 2008 9:46 PM

Pingback from  Exchange 2007 Spamming - EXPERTS ADVICE FORUM

Marvin wrote re: How to change spam settings on Exchange 2007 / SBS 2008 to enable some / all / more spam to be delivered to an account for analysis
on Sun, May 9 2010 4:05 PM

Thanks alot.

Tibor wrote re: How to change spam settings on Exchange 2007 / SBS 2008 to enable some / all / more spam to be delivered to an account for analysis
on Fri, Aug 6 2010 1:54 PM

Hello David, I have one simple question: "Does this settings work in case POP3 CONNECTOR is on?

Tibor Sabo wrote re: How to change spam settings on Exchange 2007 / SBS 2008 to enable some / all / more spam to be delivered to an account for analysis
on Thu, Aug 12 2010 12:38 PM

Hello, I would like to ask if this settings works in case that POP3 CONNECTOR is on.

thanx

David Overton wrote re: How to change spam settings on Exchange 2007 / SBS 2008 to enable some / all / more spam to be delivered to an account for analysis
on Fri, Sep 3 2010 11:13 PM

Tibor,

I believe this does indeed include the Pop3 connector.

Thanks

David

uksbsguy.com wrote re: How to change spam settings on Exchange 2007 / SBS 2008 to enable some / all / more spam to be delivered to an account for analysis
on Mon, Jun 27 2011 2:39 AM

How to change spam settings on exchange 2007 sbs 2008 to enable some all more spam to be delivered to an account for analysis.. Retweeted it :)

Neil wrote re: How to change spam settings on Exchange 2007 / SBS 2008 to enable some / all / more spam to be delivered to an account for analysis
on Wed, Oct 17 2012 12:37 PM

I only have the IP allowed/blocked options - both of which are empty and no 'Content Filtering' option.

emails from my hotmail account are being rejected as SPAM - How do I get the content filtering option or how else can I change my filtering?

Emails sent from exchange (I don't have a fixed IP on Virgin) are also rejected by Hotmail as SPAM. How can I get them allowed?

Thanks

Neil

on Sun, Oct 21 2012 10:48 AM

Neil,

there are two separate issues here.  First you need to ensure you have a SPF record with your DNS provider - they should be able to help you here.

If you Hotmail e-mails are being rejected, it is possible it is the content.  Are they rejected as SPAM by all e-mail receivers or just you?

Thanks